Pepper's Turn... Crafty Cockers all the way!


In the last couple of weeks I have started training Pepper, an 18 month old Cocker Spaniel. Pepper is a late starter and although will never make a trialing dog she is showing enough promise to perhaps make a very smart little rough shooting dog one day. 


Out with my good friend Matt, Matt Ager Pet &Gundog, in the space of a week, she has gone from not being interested at all in retrieving, to now being fairly keen at hunting a tennis ball out and returning with it. 
We have been mixing this up with a little steadiness work: although this is not key at this stage, as I am trying to gee her up and put a little drive into her. Pepper will be a challenge, she has been part of the family for sometime, however I am excited.


Training Snipe, my Labrador is very regimented with lots of straight lines and strict handling, to have Pepper as a little side project is going to be a lot of fun. 

I'm sure this could become a long and frustrating road for the both of us, ha! BUT I am going to put zero pressure on us both, to make sure it certainly is what cocker training is always about - mischief and pleasure.....watch this space!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Breckmarsh Gundog Teams Lucky 7!!!

The Weekend That Saw The Trialling Community Come Together

PUPPY PRIME TIME!